In our household we typically have pasta once a week. I never grew up eating much of the stuff but ever since I have been with Mike, pasta has slowly been creeping its way into my life and I love it!
It’s funny, pasta aka CARBS are deemed so bad and therefore many people steer clear of it…my old self included. However, there is nothing wrong with having it once and a while and actually enjoying yourself when you do. I always hear people say that they over stuff themselves because they “just can’t stop eating” and then they feel like garbage after. I say, lighten up on yourself, scoop a generous helping, and pair it with a salad!
We have been trying a few different ideas in the attempt to jazz up our weekly meal and I have to say, this pasta dish is a pretty amazing random surprise and I am thrilled with how delicious it turned out!
This dish is light, simple, flavourful, and definitely hits the spot if you are craving some elevated comfort food. Plus, the addition of peas really gives this meal a pop of freshness and an added bonus of a veggie competent. Obviously you can substitute the shrimp for chicken, sausage, or even leave the protein out completely…it will still be great. Don’t skip the fresh basil!! Basil provides such a bright and fresh flavour that it is almost a crime to not include it.
For this particular meal, we also had bread with olive oil and balsamic as well as a hearty glass of Megalomaniac’s Homegrown red wine. For me, wine with pasta is crucial! It just balances everything out so perfectly and is a great way to unwind for the day.
This was also used as leftover’s for lunch the next day and heated up perfectly.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did! Eat Food. Love Life.
Garlic Infused Olive Oil Pasta With Shrimp
A fresh, light, Italian-inspired pasta recipe perfect for any day of the week.
- 1/2 bag of pasta of choice, I used Casarecce because they are fun (250g)
- 3 tbsp. + 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, hand minced
- 1/4 tsp. chili flakes
- 6-8 tomatoes, diced (could totally use sun dried tomatoes and it would be AMAZING!)
- 1/2 bag small shrimp, thawed (detailed, deveined, cooked. Can use small or larger size)
- 1 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Salt + pepper
- Fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of salted (3/4 tbsp) water to boil, add pasta and cook it according to instructions. Drain the pasta.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, on medium heat, heat 3 tbsp. olive oil until hot and add minced garlic and chili flakes. Allow to infuse for 1-2 minutes. Stir regularly to ensure it does not burn.
- Then add tomatoes, peas, shrimp, and 1/3 cup of olive oil. Let cook for 3-4 minutes and stir often.
- Add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper (to your preference). Cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained pasta to the skillet and remaining parmesan cheese, stir to ensure everything is evenly coated with olive oil. If you find there isn’t enough olive oil you can simply add a bit more.
- To serve, plate pasta in a bowl with fresh basil (and a glass of red wine!!)